Ant control experts servicing The Clarence Valley, Grafton, Maclean, Yamba, Iluka, Wooli, Woolgoolga and Coffs Harbour.
Call us today.
Ants are annoying! If you have had issues with ants before or are currently seeing ants in your house crawling around on everything and invading the food cupboards you’ve landed here because you are fed up! In some cases, if the infestation is bad you can’t drop anything on the floor without the ants all over it within minutes!
What are ants?
The Australian climate is perfect for ants. Ants are eusocial insects of the family Formicidae and, along with the related wasps and bees, belong to the order Hymenoptera. They are social insects, which means they live in large colonies or groups. Depending on the species, ant colonies can consist of millions of ants. There are three kinds of ants in a colony: The queen, the female workers, and males.
- Ants are as old as dinosaurs.
- Ants are quite the travelers. They are found nearly everywhere on Earth, with the exception of Antarctica and the Arctic.
- The largest ant ever discovered was 2.4 inches long, it is a fossilized specimen.
- Ants can come together to form an enormous, coordinated super organism. Just as humans are able to function because of all of the various organs that comprise our bodies, so do individual ants function as parts of a larger organism.
- Ants are able to communicate effectively by using chemicals known as pheromones. Through these pheromones, ants are able to send messages to their fellows alerting them of danger or indicating when food has been found.
5 Types of common Australian ants
Black House Ant – Is considered more of a nuisance than a very destructive pest. It can encourage aphid growth which leads to extensive plant damage. They are especially attracted to sweet foods.
White Footed House Ant – Although white-footed ants are strongly attracted to sweet foods they will also feed on dead insects and other protein. Commonly found in large trails on external walls in search of food. They can be found in pandanus roots, palms, and garden areas.
Green Ants – Green-headed ants have a broad-ranging diet, but they generally feed on animal material both as scavengers and predators. They move quickly while foraging, which generally occurs during the day, on the ground and among vegetation. Green head ants grate nests in lawns and pavement cracks. The bite is painful.
Carpenter Ants – Commonly found in houses where there is some form of timber decay. The ants do not eat timber as some may misconceive they only create tunnels and nests within it. However, they can infest wooden buildings and structures and can be a widespread nuisance and major cause of structural damage.
Coastal Brown Ants – Commonly found in houses where they build loose sandy mounds on pavements and cracks in concrete. Also referred to as big-headed ants are golden brown to brown in colour. This invasive species often have multiple queens in a colony and quickly achieves the status of a super-colony.
The most important process is maintaining an ant-free environment is with an annual pest control plan in place. This will generally keep houses ant free for 12 months. In addition, The house or building should have foliage cut back off the external walls and maintain some general tidiness.
Ant control methods
- Apply non repellant residual surface spray.
- Apply crack and crevice treatment using approved products.
- Dusting areas where infestations of hiding places exist including roof voids.
- Applying ant gel.
- Pressure cleaning external areas.
- Keeping foliage off external walls.
- Sealing entry points.
If you are experiencing any ant issues, Please feel free to call us today. We provide ant treatments to both residential and commercial buildings. Our team is experts in dealing with pests and we provide a guarantee on all our services.
The Clarence Valley, Grafton, Ulmarra, Tyndale, Tucabia, Yamba, Maclean, Brushgrove, Iluka, Woombah, Coutts Crossing, Nymboida, Woolgoolga, Emerald Beach, Saphire Beach, Coffs Harbour, Nana Glen.
Call us today.